Monday, August 20, 2007

Ad Storm #1: Personal Branding

Before reading this post listen to this podcast from the foward blog
" Who you was is not who you is" -Mitch Joel

This is resonated with me when I listen to this, and having interest in personal branding for years listening to this really made me want to discuss it a little bit. I really enjoyed listening to Mitch Joel and Paul Young discuss personal branding and eliciting values and molding peoples perception of you on your own terms.

People are going have an opinion no matter what, don't you think you should have some say in what people think about you.

This is the fundamental idea behind personal marketing, I've always been more fascinated in a more product oriented approach which I usually describe by the quote:

"You are your best product"

When I think about it this way it makes me realize the following:

- If I'm a product, what attributes do I have - How do I want to position myself - what are my Marketing Communication Goals (awareness, perception, attitude)
I get some slack for my quite cold approach to myself as a product I'm selling, but to me marketing isn't about making a profit it's about creating value for consumers. I don't sell cause I want profit, I sell cause I want to give value, profit is just testimony to the value I've given.

So I now understand what is my personal brand and what I want to do with it, what's the next question:

- How does my product give value - Who is the target market (like minded people)

At this point you are ready to begin building awareness of you Personal Brand. Here are many things I would recommend to elicit your values to connect your target market:

- Blogs - Social Events - Social Networking Sites - Volunteering - Flyering (that's right, put up flyers about you and your personal brand)

Here is an example of a flyer promoting a personal brand: Alex Merced (myself)




Very obvious we know a lot about the Alex Merced Brand:

- It heavily related to music events and information
- Several Blogs that have information which is valuable
- A Radio show which has entertainment value

conclusion:

The Alex Merced Brand gives me value through Music Information and Entertainment


Now it's your turn :)
Discuss your personal brands in the comments, I'd like to know about your brand

2 comments:

Mitch Joel said...

Alex,

I think you already know/understand what my Personal Brand is about.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm glad it inspired you to write/think and explore your Personal Brand a little bit more.

Paull is excellent at pulling out nuggets of information and really enabled my Personal Brand to shine in our conversation.

Keep exploring. I've subscribed and will be watching.

Dan Schawbel said...

No one can market your brand like you . You have the most knowledge of who you are.

Great post here.